Re: USB sound card records only left channel and is not recognized by audacity

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

> My Terratec usb-sound Phase 26 provides an excellent output sound
> quality. However, when I record something via krecord, only the left
> channel is recorded. The resultant output file is stereo, but both left
> and right channel correspond to the left channel from the input of the
> sound card. (Stereo recording works ok with the identical setup, when I
> use the stupid other O$ on my computer).

Try first to record using arecord, instead of krecord, to see if it is a
problem with krecord or with the soundcard driver.

> Audacity 1.2.4b-2.1 doesn't recognize the usb sound card at all. Without
> usb-sound card attached, it uses the built in sound card of my laptop
> and I can record from the built in microphone. With the usb sound card
> plugged in and working in as output for other applications I can record
> via krecord (see above), but audacity won't show a sound card.

Not sure but I believe that audacity uses /dev/dsp, not the alsa stuff.
And if /dev/dsp is linked to your onboard soundcard, that is what will get
used. AFAIK audacity does not allow you to change this ( eg to use
/dev/dsp1 which is probably your usb card, if you enables oss emulation on
that card)

> One minor glitch is that I have to kill artsd before k-applications will
> output sound.

Yes, artsd does rather hog things.