Re: High end usb sound card recommendations?

Hi everyone,

a while ago I asked for recommendations for external sound cards.

Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> The input quality of my laptop's sound card is horrible. While I'm at
> upgrading, I'm thinking on getting the best solution to work with my new
> high end amplifier. I already use the laptop for DVB and DVD.
>
> Requirements:
> - high quality audio input and output
> - supported by debian etch/sid, kernel 2.6.16
> - usb or firewire or pcmcia; (usb prefered)
> - stereo in- and output (surround sound not required or used)
>
> Many of the current devices from say Edirol, M-audio or Terratec are not
> on the list
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=All#matrix
> which also claims to have seen the last update in March 2005.
>
> Thanks for your recommendations!

I finally settled for the Terratec Phase 26 and use it on debian etch,
kernel 2.6.17-2-686; alsa-base 1.0.13-2.

Output sound quality is superb, matching my high endish cd-player on my
4-digit-Euros amp.

There are some issues getting the input to work in stereo and getting it
recognized by audacity. I will post these in another thread.

Johannes