Can't get midi to work with ALSA 1.0.11

I have ALSA 1.0.11 and the 2.4.33.3 kernel (with Slackware 11), and I
use the snd-intel8x0 module for my sound card. I used to have MIDI
working when I was using an older kernel (it was somewhere between
2.4.22 and 2.4.26), and ALSA 1.0.9 (I think), but I can't get it to
work with this version. (I am trying to output MIDI through my game
port, not the audio output on my sound card.) I used to use the
following line in /etc/modules.conf:

options snd-intel8x0 mpu_port=0x300 joystick=1 index=0

but apparently, the mpu_port option was dropped from the snd-intel8x0
module at some point, because it doesn't show up with modinfo
anymore, and it doesn't work if I try to pass that option when I'm
seems that I might need the snd-mpu401 module, but it won't load.
dmesg tells me this every time I try to load snd-mpu401 with
modprobe:

isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
isapnp: No Plug & Play device found
MPU-401 device not found or device busy

I can get the module mpu401 to load -- I suppose that's the OSS
driver. Here is my /etc/modules.conf:

alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias snd-card-1 snd-mpu401
options snd-mpu401 port=0x300 irq=10
options snd-intel8x0 joystick=1 index=0
options snd major=116 cards_limit=2
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

My BIOS tells me that my midi port is at address 300 and irq 10, so
that's what I put as the options for snd-mpu401. Any thoughts on how
I can get MIDI output working?

Phil Carter

http://mail.yahoo.com