My solution for no sound on E-Machine M5414 with Realtek/SiS 7012 and snd-intel8x0 driver

Hi all,

I am posting this in case it can help anyone with a similar situation. I
spent weeks trying to resolve my problem of not getting sound. Here is
what I did:

Platform: E-Machine M5414 with 2800+ Sempron
Kernel: v2.6.18 bundled with Slackware

1) Removed the version of ALSA that came with Slackware 11.0.
2) I downloaded, compiled, and installed ALSA v1.0.13.
2) I used depmod to update the dependency files under /lib/modules/2.6.18.
3) Executed alsaconf. It displayed two entries for SiS AC'97 Intel_8x0. I
   selected the first entry. I think the second might have been for the
   modem module, but I don't know since the text was too long.
4) I loaded the snd-timer, snd-pcm, and snd-intel8x0 modules in the
   following order:
   /sbin/modprobe snd-timer
   /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm
   /sbin/modprobe snd-intel8x0
5) Ran alsamixer. I unmuted/enabled everything I wanted except for the
   External Amplifier. This seems to be the main cause for not getting
   sound.

The last step above may actually be the only step you really need, but I
included everything I did just in case.

I hope this helps! :)