Fortissimo 4 issues

Hello everyone,

I just subscribed to this list, because my new sound card is badly
supported. It's a Fortissimo 4 from Hercules/Guillemot (ICE1724/Envy24HT
chipset).

Here are the issues I experienced. (Note: I use 5.1 analogic output.)

  * No hardware mixer support
  * No volume control (nor master neither per-channel)
  * Only Front Left and Front Right speakers produce expected sound. Other
channels play heavy noise... unless I start a Windows session before
booting Linux.
  * Some channel mappings are switched. I corrected it in my asound.conf.
  * No envy24control (is it supposed to work with ICE1724 ?)
  * Doesn't work at all with apps like "Enemy Territory" or Wine (OSS?
mmap?).

I usually use a Debian Etch. But in order to test latest ALSA, I installed
a Gentoo 2006.1 with ALSA outside the kernel. I also use the nForce4 sound
chipset as intel8x0 ; it doesn't seem to interfere.

I tried several model=xxx options when loading module. Some of them gave
me access to switch on/off channels, but nothing more.
I read some earlier posts about this card and tried the patch from Elie
Morisse to get volume control. I can then control master volume. I am
ready to test new patches, if necessary. ;)

I'll probably add some notes in bug tracker
(http://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1556 and
http://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=896 ). I hope it
will help.

I attach my (reworked) asound.conf, in case someone will find it useful.

--
François Seguin