Re: Microphone does not record

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 10:59 +0100, Krzysztof Dubowik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> eespjl@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >>         control.27 {
> >>                 comment.access 'read write'
> >>                 comment.type BOOLEAN
> >>                 comment.count 1
> >>                 iface MIXER
> >>                 name 'Capture Switch'
> >>                 value false
> >>         }
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> >   My guess is the above should be true.
>
> It's not a file which you can just edit, is it? How can I change it?

Sure you can edit it :-) However it is usually written out when "alsactl
save" is run and read back when you run "alsactl restore" (these would
normally would be run in the init scripts at shutdown and startup time).
What you might want to check is if the value is actually being saved
correctly by turning on the capture in alsamixer and then (as root as
the file is generally owned by root) running "/usr/sbin/alsactl save 0"
and then examining the file again. The value should have changed to
true.  I'm not quite sure what it means if it hasn't been changed
though.

If you really wanted to edit the file then (again as root) you can just
change the file using your favourite text editor and then run
"/usr/sbin/alsactl restore 0" and the changes should then be reflected
in the alsamixer. You really shouldn't have to do this though.

/J\