>>>                 comment.type BOOLEAN
>>>                 comment.count 1
>>>                 iface MIXER
>>>                 name 'Capture Switch'
>>>                 value false
>>>         }
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>   My guess is the above should be true.
>
> It's not a file which you can just edit, is it? How can I change it?

  My understanding is that this file is used to store the state of your
mixer  and can be used to reload that state. So you can probably change
false to true if you want to. Then use alsactl. This is probably not
what you want to do.

  I suggest you look at the output of amixer

  For my card I get.

Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
   Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined
   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
   Limits: Capture 0 - 15
   Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [off]
   Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [off]

  I can change the capture to [on] using alsamixer
    hit f5
    hit spacebar on the capture control.

cheers Paul.