Re: snd-hda-intel and ALC861 ... strange mixer problem...

Gustav Degreef wrote:
> On 11/7/06, *Patrick J Kobly* <patrick@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:patrick@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     steef wrote:
>     > Gustav Degreef wrote:
>     >
>     >> I'm also using the snd_hda_intel module (chip 14f1 ID 5047),
>     but when
>     >> I try modprobe snd-hda-intel disable_msi=1it refuses to load
>     and dmesg
>     >> gives an error message that it an unknown parameter.  I can
>     load the
>     >> module with any number of model= and it gives no error message.
>     >> Sound works but not the microphone.  Why does disable_msi=1 not
>     >> appropriate for this chip.  Thanks.  gustav.
>     >>
>     You are likely using an older version of alsa-driver.  It appears that
>     the MSI support (and hence the disable_msi parameter) was added in
>     1.0.13 along with fixes that included fixes for mixer problems.
>

> Thanks for your reply.  I've looked for a newer rpm version but can
> not find it.  These were mostly downloaded from packman
>
> http://packman.links2linux.org/package/alsa
> <http://packman.links2linux.org/package/alsa>
>
> pavilion:/home/rada # rpm -qa alsa*
> alsa-devel-1.0.9-23
> alsa-firmware-1.0.13-0.pm.0
> alsa-tools-1.0.13-0.pm.0
> alsamixergui-0.9.0rc1-546
> alsa-1.0.13-0.pm.0
> alsa-tools-gui-1.0.13-0.pm.0
>
> Is there a newer version?  Do I need to  compile it?  Thanks.  Gustav

Hi

(somewhat late, but i had some work to do; just cc it for once too to
your private emailaddress to be sure you see it)

under debian_etch i found this in:

> */lib/modules/2.6.17-2-k7/build/drivers/pci/Kconfig*

#
# PCI configuration
#
config PCI_MSI
    bool "Message Signaled Interrupts (MSI and MSI-X)"
    depends on PCI
    depends on (X86_LOCAL_APIC && X86_IO_APIC) || IA64
    help
       This allows device drivers to enable MSI (Message Signaled
       Interrupts).  Message Signaled Interrupts enable a device to
       generate an interrupt using an inbound Memory Write on its
       PCI bus instead of asserting a device IRQ pin.

       Use of PCI MSI interrupts can be disabled at kernel boot time
       by using the   'pci=nomsi' option.  This disables MSI for the
       entire system.

       If you don't know what to do here, say N.

config PCI_DEBUG
    bool "PCI Debugging"
    depends on PCI && DEBUG_KERNEL
    help
      Say Y here if you want the PCI core to produce a bunch of debug
      messages to the system log.  Select this if you are having a
      problem with PCI support and want to see more of what is going on.

      When in doubt, say N.

do first something like grep -r /boot/&& just to see if MSI is compiled
into your kernel.

this should work. please let us/me know if it does indeed.

good luck!

kind regards,

steef