Re: Capturing audio with mencoder and alsa

Carl Weidling wrote:
> I was asked to show the output of "amixer contents".  I tried sending
> that as an attached file and it seems to have gotten scrubbed, so I'll
> try again.

That attachment came through just fine.

> ... But when I try to use mencoder to capture  videos I get no sound.

Does arecord work?

> I've tried using alsamixer to set CD into capture mode, and it does
> indeed indicate that CD is in capture mode, but the volume in capture
> mode is zero and I can't change it!  I think this is the problem.
> There is also a column in alsamixer labeled CAPTURE, and here I can
> change the volume, but I have no idea where input to that is coming
> from.

AC'97 codecs select the input before they apply attenuation, so there is
only one generic "Capture" volume control.  alsamixer displays an empty
volume bar because there is no separate volume control for the CD input.

> numid=24,iface=MIXER,name='Capture Source'
>   ; ... Item #1 'CD' ...
>   : values=1,1
> numid=25,iface=MIXER,name='Capture Switch'
>   : values=on
> numid=26,iface=MIXER,name='Capture Volume'
>   : values=11,11

These look OK.

> numid=39,iface=MIXER,name='Input Source Select'
>   ; Item #0 'Input1'
>   ; Item #1 'Input2'
>   : values=0
> numid=40,iface=MIXER,name='Input Source Select',index=1
>   ; Item #0 'Input1'
>   ; Item #1 'Input2'
>   : values=0

These two controls do some additional routing on the inputs.  If arecord
doesn't work, try all four combinations.

HTH
Clemens