Re: Problems with snd hda intel: works only part of the time

Le Fri, 06 Oct 2006 15:48:28 +0200,"Clemens Ladisch" <cladisch@xxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
> Dominique Michel wrote:> > "Clemens Ladisch" <cladisch@xxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :> > > Dominique Michel wrote:> > > > "Clemens Ladisch" <cladisch@xxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :> > > > > The correct way to specify sound card order is to set 'index' options> > > > > in modprobe.conf (or whatever file is used).  This works regardless of> > > > > the order in which the drivers are loaded.> > > > > > > > I know that, but it just don't work if udev load any sound driver as> > > > snd_usb_audio before at alsasound is started.> > > > > > Of course it does work.  Driver modules get their module options from> > > modprobe.conf regardless of when or how they are loaded.> > > > udev take its options from udev configuration files placed in /etc/udev/*.> > And not from modprobe.conf or whatever file is associated with modprobe.> > I'm speaking about module options.  Those come from modprobe.conf, whether> the module is loaded manually, with kmod, or by udev.> > The udev configuration files do not specify any module options (except> when you manually add options to a modprobe call).> > > Regards,> Clemens>
The fact is at the alsa configuration in modprobe.conf will not work asexpected if udev load some sound module before modprobe or alsasound. And it isa fact. As you just said, The udev configuration files do not specify anymodule options.
I just checked my alsa configuration files to see if it was no miss-spelling init, ran a modules-update, removed snd-usb-audio from my blacklist file, done areboot, and the result was my webcam as sound card 0 when it is sound card 1 inmodules.conf.
The situation is different if I do a "/etc/init.d/alsasound restart", becausehere, alsasound will first unload any sound module and reload them again. Afterthis, I will get the same order as in modules.conf: 0: audigy, 1: usb, 2:virmidi
This problem have at least tree aspects.1) The alsa documentation use modules.conf and not udev,2) the init process run udev and hotplug before to load the modules inmodules.conf,3) the average users just want at the sound work out of the box, and 3b) theyare not confident with udev rules.
A simple fix will be at "alsasound start" that most if not all the linuxdistribution are using to load the sound modules at boot time, first check forexisting drivers and unload them if any before loading them. So, the sound cardsorder will be correct in any cases.
Dominique
-------------------------------------------------------------------------Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of ITJoin SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share youropinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cashhttp://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV_______________________________________________Alsa-user mailing listAlsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/alsa-user