no sound problem with ALC882 (error: "hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC882")

Hello,

  I am posting again after there was probably some technical problem
with my message; it is the same message, if anybody got it:

I have a no sound problem on a Fedora 5 machine (x86_64)
running Athlon 3800+ AMD. I am wrestling with this
problem for some days now without any success.

the sound card I have ,according to
"aplay -l", is :

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC882 Analog [ALC882 Analog]
 Subdevices: 1/1
 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I looked over the net for this kind of error; it seems to me that
the essence of the problem is that the current also driver
does not support ALC882.

When I perform :
rmmod snd_hda_intel
modprobe snd_hda_intel
I see in the kernel log the following message
Oct  1 08:10:46  kernel: hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC882, trying
auto-probe from BIOS...

After seeing this message, I tried these things:
2) after looking at ALSA support page , in:
http://people.redhat.com/stransky/alsa/

I had installed alsa-driver-1.0.12.tar.bz2.
it did not help- still the same error and no sound.

1) perform yum upgrade kernel.

now the kernel version is 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5
(it was 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 before).

Still this did not help.

I am sure that there is nothing which is muted, etc.

I know that such an error occurred on acer laptops with ALC883.
(see , for example, the
Changelog between 1.0.12 and 1.0.13rc1 releases
in http://www.alsa-project.org/changes/v1-0-12--v1-0-13rc1.txt)

I also saw a bug report about acer and ALC882 (and a patch for acer)
in ALSA bugtracking system; also there , the indication for a
problem was the kernel message "hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC882, trying
auto-probe from BIOS..."

currently when I run : cat /proc/asound/version
I get :
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.11rc4 (Wed Mar 22
10:27:24 2006 UTC).

But as I said, with the previous kernel I tried
installin alsa-driver-1.0.12.tar.bz2 and it did not help.

Any ideas ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
Mark Ryden