Drop outs under I/O load with Terratec EWX 24/96

Hi Alsa users!

Some days ago I got a Terratec EWX 24/96, put her in an free PCI slot
and compiled the ice1712 driver as module (Gentoo Linux,
kernel version 2.6.17-gentoo-r8 with Preemptible Kernel (Low-Latency
Desktop), as described in the Gentoo Alsa Guide
(http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml).

Sounds great, but now I discovered the problem: While there is I/O load
on the PCI bus on my mainboard (Asus A7N8X-E deluxe) I got heavy drop
outs (xruns) and the sound seems to lower its speed (as an walkman with
an empty battery), regardless by witch device the load is produced (the
most ugliest drop outs I had with load produced by my S-ATA Seagate
harddrives, but also when copying a CD on the harddrives or when
having heavy network traffic).

Now I have played around with different things, I have compiled the
sound drivers (helped a little bit), tried different PCI slots (Slot 5
seems to be the best choice and the Terratec got an IRQ alone) and
the lowering of the sound disappeared, but the drop outs remained.
Also I tried another kernel scheduler (deadline), as described in
http://alsa.opensrc.org/faq/#FAQ016, but this was brought no change.

Are there any further hints to eliminate the drop outs?

It's really annoying to have a great sound card but to get this ugly
xruns...

Greets, Jascha Berberich

--
Jabber: jascha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Mail: jascha@xxxxxxxxxxxx