Re: [Alsa-devel] USB card @48kHz only: at what layer to resample?

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:51:17 +0100
David Greaves <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Lee Revell wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 08:12 -0700, Bill Unruh wrote:
> >> This is audio card insanity. All CDs are at 44100 but for some reason
> >> many card manufacturers designed their cards to run at 48000. This is
> >> a real problem since this requires rate conversion. Rate conversion is
> >> in general a very very noisy operation. In particular simple linear
> >> interpolation, which is quick, is also really really terrible for
> >> sound quality.
> >>

> > DVDs use 48000.  But I seem to recall vendors shipping 48Khz-only cards
> > before playing DVD on a computer was common...
> >
> > Lee
>
> Wasn't it DAT that set the standard at 48000 - and CDs were made incompatible at
> 44.1 kHz to prevent digital copying...
>
> David

44100Hz sampling rate was one of the most idiotic decisions I ever
saw - read about the necessary LPF filter orders, pulse smudging,
etc. because of closeness of Nyquist frequency (22050Hz) to the top
audio frequency (20000Hz).

There is much more mercy in 48000Hz sampling frequency from all the above
points of view.

--Sergei.

--
Visit my http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/ open source project.