Re: adding users to LDAP

> On 4 Oct 2019, at 03:03, Mark Reynolds <mreynolds@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> On 10/3/19 9:00 AM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
>> Hi mark I am interested in contributing to cockpit as well as the various modules it has as well.
> Contributions are very welcome!  To get started see:  https://www.port389.org/docs/389ds/contributing.html
>
>> Are there plans for 389 to do something that is equivalent to group policy on windows
> I'm not 100% sure what you mean.  We do not do much in regards to Windows/AD.  We have synchronization capabilities, but that is it.  There are no plans to do anything more than what we have already have.  Now our FreeIPA project is much more focused on managing and working with AD.

It depends if you meant "group policy" as in "desktop/fleet management" on linux - if so, look into fleet commander which is basically GPO for linux.

If you mean group policy for real windows, then no - I think that would be a re-invention of AD because you need krb + ldap + smb + more in place to emulate a DC for GPO's to work. If you want GPO for windows, you should look into samba 4 which does support offering GPO's, but you'll still need a windows machine and gpedit.msc to configure these correctly.