Re: PCI SSL TLS certificate requirements change

On Mon, 2015-12-28 at 17:50 +0000, Mayberry, Alexander wrote:
> Hi, we are using SSLv3 certs, and have a multi-master replication
> environment.
>
> I have over 2000 clients currently using these CAs, and updating them
> to TLS seems highly disruptive.

There is no difference between an "SSLv3" and a "TLS" cert. They are
just "certificates" to DS. SSLv3 and TLS are the connection protocols
to the directory server.

> Does anyone know of a way to add the updated TLS cert, while still
> honoring the old SSLv3 certs from clients?
> Or perhaps a way to add new replicas in to the environment with the
> new TLS certs, but also add them in to the replication pool with the
> old SSLv3 systems?
>
> Maybe a good guide/white paper on how to achieve this for PCI
> requirements?

So really, what you are doing is certificate rollover. It's a fun /
difficult thing to do.

If you are not changing the signing CA, then you just need to replace
the certificates in a rolling fashion on your DS instances. They will
need a restart to take effect, and all your clients will "just work".

If you are changing the certificate and the CA that signs them, you are
in for some fun.

First, you can do what you are suggesting, and make new replicas that
run the new certs vs the old:

Say you have A and B now in MMR, you can setup two more replicas, A, B,
C, D.

If you make sure the certificate's CA's are on ALL A, B, C, D, you can
run certificates signed by CA1 on A and B, and CA2 on C and D. Then you
point the clients where they need to be.

But that's pretty messy I think. And overly complicated. So please
don't do this.

Best bet is on all your clients to roll out the new CA so they accept
CA1 and CA2. Once you have done this, then you can change over one DS
instance out of A and B, to have the new certificate signed by the new
CA. Most clients will work, any that you have missed will have a 50% of
throwning a problem at this point.

Clients that throw an issue, you can point at B in the interim so they
work, then you can update thier ldap CA store to include the new CA,
and put them back as connecting to A and B.

Then you can change over B to the new CA, and repeat the process.

There is really no way around it, but there is a risk when changing CA
provider that you will mess something up.

Finally, if you don't want to mess around that much, you could set
TLS_REQCERT=Never, but I really, really, really don't advise that. Use
it as a work around until you can update the CA bundle.

When I managed a certificate roll over in my past environments, this is
what I did, coordinating with other business units, getting the new CA
out, lots of testing in a stage environment with application etc. Took
about 3 months to do all the testing and due diligence, and pre-
the new CA, but on the day of the cut over there were no issues at
all.

I hope this helps.

--
Sincerely,