PAM passthru questions and SecureID

> From: Chris Maresca <ckm at olliancegroup.com>
> Subject: Re: PAM passthru questions and
> 	SecureID

> Richard Megginson wrote:

>> > But this is what SASL was designed to do - isolate applications from the
>> > authentication implementation details.  Ideally, it would go like this:
>> > LDAP -> SASL -> sasl auth server plugin -> auth server

> Yes, but there are a very limited number of SASL plugins, basically
> NTLM, Kerberos, GSS and SecurID.  Non-plugin auths are done through the
> 'external' method, which uses saslauthd, a hack as it actually requires
> accounts to be created to work properly.  Saslauthd also only handles
> passwords in plain text, communicates over an unsecure socket, runs as
> root and is single-threaded....

Rich isn't recommending the use of saslauthd, and developing a SASL
plugin for whatever purpose is pretty easy.

> so the chain winds up being:
>
> LDAP -> SASL -> plaintext sockect connection -> saslauthd -> sasl-auth
> method -> auth server
>
> SASL is quite good, but saslauthd is not so great.  It was never
> actually intended for this, but as a proxy to deal with apps that did
> not have SASL natively.

Agreed, saslauthd is junk.

>> > Then you could just to an LDAP SASL BIND with a mechanism like
>> > "SASL-SECURID" or something like that, and pass in whatever credentials
>> > are required by the auth server in the sasl credentials field.
>
> I don't disagree, but none of the vendors are providing this capability.
>   The real world and the ideal situation are not really lining up....

>> > However, if it is more difficult to take the SASL plugin approach, or
>> > the vendors are just not going to make this happen, then we should
>> > figure out how to extend the PAM passthru plugin to handle cases like this.
>
> That's the way it is right now, so yeah, extending PAM passthru would be
> good.  SASL may be the long term future, but right now, it's not
> deployable except for one vendor's mechanism.

You've identified a shortcoming but you're going about fixing it the
wrong way. Rich is trying to point you down the proper track; the right
way is to get the desired SASL plugin written.

>> > Would you be able to write up something for the Fedora DS wiki, like an
>> > informal software requirements doc?
>
> Sure, I can do that.  I'd even offer to look at some code, but it's been
> years since I authored anything in C and I know nothing of the Fedora DS
> code....

<shameless plug>I work with both the OpenLDAP and Cyrus SASL Projects;
my company Symas Corp. can easily develop what's needed here and submit
it to Cyrus for you. Once you've got the requirements spelled out, come
talk to us.</shameless plug>

--
   -- Howard Chu

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora User Discussion]     [Older Fedora Users]     [Fedora Announce]     [Fedora Package Announce]     [EPEL Announce]     [Fedora News]     [Fedora Cloud]     [Fedora Advisory Board]     [Fedora Education]     [Fedora Security]     [Fedora Scitech]     [Fedora Robotics]     [Fedora Maintainers]     [Fedora Infrastructure]     [Fedora Websites]     [Anaconda Devel]     [Fedora Devel Java]     [Fedora Legacy]     [Fedora Desktop]     [Fedora Fonts]     [ATA RAID]     [Fedora Marketing]     [Fedora Management Tools]     [Fedora Mentors]     [Fedora Package Review]     [Fedora R Devel]     [Fedora PHP Devel]     [Kickstart]     [Fedora Music]     [Fedora Packaging]     [Centos]     [Fedora SELinux]     [Fedora Legal]     [Fedora Kernel]     [Fedora QA]     [Fedora Triage]     [Fedora OCaml]     [Coolkey]     [Virtualization Tools]     [ET Management Tools]     [Yum Users]     [Tux]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [Linux Apps]     [Maemo Users]     [Gnome Users]     [KDE Users]     [Fedora Tools]     [Fedora Art]     [Fedora Docs]     [Maemo Users]     [Asterisk PBX]     [Fedora Sparc]     [Fedora Universal Network Connector]     [Fedora ARM]