Re: [QUESTION] about the freelist allocator in XFS

well, a piece of comment about the corner case i mentioned is found in
xfsprogs/repair/phase5.c, but i still have no idea how that is
prevented by the xfs kernel module.

/*
 * We need to leave some free records in the tree for the corner case of
 * setting up the AGFL. This may require allocation of blocks, and as
 * such can require insertion of new records into the tree (e.g. moving
 * a record in the by-count tree when a long extent is shortened). If we
 * pack the records into the leaves with no slack space, this requires a
 * leaf split to occur and a block to be allocated from the free list.
 * If we don't have any blocks on the free list (because we are setting
 * it up!), then we fail, and the filesystem will fail with the same
 * failure at runtime. Hence leave a couple of records slack space in
 * each block to allow immediate modification of the tree without
 * requiring splits to be done.
 *
 * XXX(hch): any reason we don't just look at mp->m_alloc_mxr?
 */