Re: Question: Old Irix tape backup. Recovery on Linux (xfsdump/xfsrestore)

On 6/29/16 1:48 PM, Anthony l wrote:
> Hello Anthony here,
>
> I'm not sure if this is the correct place to send a question, If I am
> wrong I would appreciate if you could send me in the right direction.
> I have come across the oss.sgi forums a lot looking for a solution to
> my problem but I could not find much.

Sure, it's a fine place.  Question below.

> Here's my situation.
>
> I have a bunch a tapes that were created way back when using an IRIX
> system. Some kind of version 6, perhaps even the latest version.
> anyway I am able to peak at the headers to determind the the file
> type on the drive is indeed:
>
> xFSdump0.... or when I make a sample using 'dd if=/dev/nst0
> of=./test.img' '+ 'file test.img' I get XFSDUMP archive (version 2)
>
> So, instinctively to get the data off the tapes I would think would
> be as simple as:
>
> sudo xfsrestore -f /dev/nst0 ./path to where I want it stored
>
> Then I get:
>
> using dump format 3
>
> xfsrestore: searching media for dump
>
> xfsrestore: preparing drive
>
> xfsrestore: examining media file 1

> xfsrestore examining media file xx
>
> the following dump has been found on drive 0:
>
> hostname: isp---------(stuff)
>
> mount point: /isp-iga
>
> volume: /dev/rdsk/sks0d2s7
>
> session time: Mon Jan 10 11:47:42 2005
>
> media label: "backup"
>
> file system id: xxx....
>
> session id: xxx...
>
> media id:...
>
> restore this dump?
>
> 1: skip
>
> 2: restore (default)
>
>> 2 (enter)
>

> ======
>
> examining media file 0
> reading directories
> examining media file 1
> reading directories
> ... and so on
> no files selected for restoral

That doesn't seem to be an actual xfsdump error string, is it?

Maybe you can capture and include the entire xfsdump output, or put it
in a pastebin somewhere?  By the time things get hand-transcribed it's
easy to lose important bits.

-Eric