Re: xfs_irecover question

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 06:10:38PM +0000, Chang, Brady wrote:
>    Hi,
>
>    Is there a way to find fullpath to the  file generated by  xfs_irecover
>    ?

I'm not a user of xfs_irecover, but, giving how inodes are deleted, I doubt you
will be able to recover the fullpath in some way. While we don't delete inodes
from the lists and make them usable for future files, this is not the same for
directory entries. The directory entry is removed from the directory, and there
is nothing that can link the inode to its directory entry (or entries) after the
file is deleted. Somebody with more expertise on it might give a final POV, but
I doubt you would be able to recover the directory entries pointing to the
inode, once the file is deleted.

>    For example:
>    [root@sdw2 recover]# ls -l 532946
>    -rw------- 1 root root 33461216 Jun 23 21:07 532946
>    [root@sdw2 recover]# file 532946
>    532946: SGI XFS filesystem data (blksz 4096, inosz 256, v2 dirs)
>
>    Thanks
>
>    -Brady

Carlos