on-disk free blocks B-Tree update

Hello XFS community,

I have code that parses the free blocks B-Tree from the disk but it seems to me that the on-disk version of the B-Tree is not updated even when sync() is called, so that the disk version of the B-Tree becomes outdated. Is that correct?

I have debug information from the kernel BIO layer where I see sectors/blocks being flushed out by the sync but the B-Tree on disk still lists those blocks as free. At what time is the on-disk B-Tree updated, only at umount?

Is there any way to force the in-memory B-Tree to be flushed to disk?

Thanks for any help,

Ben

Benjamin Wirth | Senior Software Developer

WinMagic Inc.
5600A Cancross Court

Mississauga, ON  |  L5R 3E9 |  Canada