Use latest xfs_repair on older file systems

Hello,

I have a file system that experienced issues and would not mount. The system would not boot either as this file system was listed in /etc/fstab.
I booted to a debian image with xfsprogs 3.2.1 and ran xfs_repair

The host OS now boots and the file system mounts but has only a handful of the original files.
I unmounted and ran xfs_repair 2.9.4 form the host OS a few more times. (I read somewhere that running xfs_repair multiple times can find more files) I still see the same handful of files.

A previous thread (http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2014-06/msg00204.html) suggests running the latest xfs_repair as it may be able to reattach more files.

I booted to a fedora 23 live image and updated xfsprogs to 4.5.0. (openSUSE Tumbleweed has xfsprogs 4.5.0 but I was not able to get their live image working) When running xfs_repair on the file system it complains: xfs_repair: V1 inodes unsupported. Please try an older xfsporgs.

Is it reasonable to assume that xfs_repair has done all it can and I should now use photorec from the testdisk package to recover what I can?

Thank you for your feedback.

-Chris

--
Christopher M Moser