Re: fallocate mode flag for "unshare blocks"?

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 02:08:21PM -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 10:18:50PM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:

> > > gfs2 fallocate is an implementation that will cause all but the most
> > > trivial users real pain.  Even the initial XFS implementation just
> > > marking the transactions synchronous made it unusable for all kinds
> > > of applications, and this is much worse.  E.g. a NFS ALLOCATE operation
> > > to gfs2 will probab;ly hand your connection for extended periods of
> > > time.
> > >
> > > If we need to support something like what gfs2 does we should have a
> > > separate flag for it.
> >
> > Using fallocate() for preallocation was always intended to
> > be a faster, more efficient method allocating zeroed space
> > than having userspace write blocks of data. Faster, more efficient
> > does not mean instantaneous, and gfs2 using sb_issue_zerout() means
> > that if the hardware has zeroing offloads (deterministic trim, write
> > same, etc) it will use them, and that will be much faster than
> > writing zeros from userspace.
> >
> > IMO, what gfs2 is definitely within the intended usage of
> > fallocate() for accelerating the preallocation of blocks.
> >
> > Yes, it may not be optimal for things like NFS servers which haven't
> > considered that a fallocate based offload operation might take some
> > time to execute, but that's not a problem with fallocate. i.e.
> > that's a problem with the nfs server ALLOCATE implementation not
> > being prepared to return NFSERR_JUKEBOX to prevent client side hangs
> > and timeouts while the operation is run....
>
> That's an interesting idea, but I don't think it's really legal.  I take
> JUKEBOX to mean "sorry, I'm failing this operation for now, try again
> later and it might succeed", not "OK, I'm working on it, try again and
> you may find out I've done it".
>
> So if the client gets a JUKEBOX error but the server goes ahead and does
> the operation anyway, that'd be unexpected.
>
> I suppose it's comparable to the case where a slow fallocate is
> interrupted--would it be legal to return EINTR in that case and leave
> the application to sort out whether some part of the allocation had
> already happened?

<shrug> The unshare component to XFS fallocate does this if something
sends a fatal signal to the process.  There's a difference between
shooting down a process in the middle of fallocate and fallocate
returning EINTR out of the blue, though...

...the manpage for fallocate says that "EINTR == a signal was caught".

> Would it be legal to continue the fallocate under the covers even
> after returning EINTR?

It doesn't do that, however.

--D