Re: Accidental FS corruption: Mapping files to blocks

Darrick,

A million thanks! The xfs_db commands you sent worked.

Here is the surgery I did. First rsync with -c was taking too long (more than a day with no reports as the data is 30+ TBs) and also --ignore-times did not give any information.

So I used the xfs_db commands you had mentioned. It gave me a list of files in affected space. When I do a "diff -rq" with original data and the data in the corrupted space -- BAM! I see files are indeed different! Now I am going to delete the corrupted directory and copy from the old data archive.

Thanks!

Paul

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 1:12 AM, Darrick J. Wong <darrick.wong@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 10:37:36PM -0500, Paul Cannon wrote:
> I have accidentally damaged my XFS, and need help (and a little prayer).
> The way it happened will provide your daily amusement dose (and hopefully a
> lesson).
>
> * What happened?
> I have two file systems xfsA (18 TBs on /dev/sdc1) and xfsB (36 TBs on
> /dev/sdd1). They were mounted and working fine. I accidentally executed an
> old script that effectively ran the following command:
> >ddrescue /dev/sdc /dev/sdd sdc_sdd.log
> For those unfamiliar with the ddrescue command, it claims to rescue/image
> data from a drive A to B. It does multiple passes to rescue data with
> maximum efficiency.
>
> * Why did I do it?
> I am careless or dumb or may be a combination of both. But the fact that
> drives got remapped (sdc/sdd became sde/sdf and otherway around) might also
> be part of it.
>
> * What happened to XFS on sdd (xfsB)?
> Luckily, the imaging started with an offset of about 2.7 TBs. Why? Because
> this was a restart of ddrescue and it started from past point. IT WROTE a
> total of 6.1 GBs of data on sdd/xfsB
>
> So I quickly stopped as I realized my mistake. I ran xfs_repair on xfsB.
> Due to the offset of 2.7 TBs, metadata seemed fine. The xfs_repair shows
> everything is fine. But if I extract out data using (dd skip=2.7TB) into a
> file -- I can see things are different! I recognize the abrupt change in a
> text file, exactly where the data overwritten.
>
> * Luckily I have old copy of the original data!

Good for you!  Seriously. :D

> So I did a rsync -rvn /olddata/ /xfsB
> Nothing! No difference in any data files. I even tried mirrordir, same
> thing -- nothing, no difference!

rsync -c to force it to checksum the data blocks?

By default I think it only compares file size and timestamps.

> * Here is what I think is going on, and I need help.
> I suspect that the access time of the file/files stored at this location
> are perhaps in another location in inode (does this sound correct? I am a
> newbie to XFS). But the data itself has changed at the location.

Quite possible.

> * QUESTION: How do I find what files were stored at the location? I have an
> EXACT location of the range affected. Once I find the affected files, I can
> perhaps do further surgery.

Sounds like something that the reverse-mapping btree and associated GETFSMAP
ioctl could help solve ... too bad it only exists as experimental patches to
the on-disk format. :(

In the meantime, I guess you could umount the filesystem and run xfs_db on it
to find out what was in the areas that got overwritten, assuming rsync -c also
shows no difference.  Something along the lines of:

# xfs_db /dev/sdXX
xfs_db> blockget -n
xfs_db> fsblock <block number of where the overwritten area starts>
xfs_db> blockuse -n -c <number of blocks you think got overwritten>

Have a look at the xfs_db manpage for more info on what those commands do.

--D