Re: block allocations for the refcount btree

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 08:40:58AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 11:07:38AM -0800, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 01:50:10AM -0800, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> > > That's odd... I'd have thought that the AG reservation would always be able
> > > to handle a refcount btree expansion, since it calculates how many blocks
> > > are needed to handle the worst case of 1 record per extent.  There's also
> > > a bug where we undercount the number of blocks already used, so it should
> > > have an extra big reservation.
> > >
> > > OTOH I've seen occasional ENOSPCs in generic/186 and generic/168 too, so I
> > > guess something's going wrong.  Maybe the xfs_ag_resv* tracepoints can help?
> >
> > I'm not seeing an ENOSPC, I run into:
> >
> > [  640.924891] XFS: Assertion failed: tp->t_blk_res_used <= tp->t_blk_res, file: fs/xfs/xfs_trans.c, line: 315
>
> I run into that from time to time (maybe once a month) on a vanilla
> kernel.

Any idea which test reproduces? I see that generic/033 resulted from the
discussion below on the rfc. I don't currently reproduce with that test,
however. The test mentions it uses fzero because zero range doesn't do
writeback (comments ftw :) and thus allows splitting of delalloc
extents, but it looks like that might no longer be the case in the
kernel (since zero range was simplified to reuse punch/alloc).

> IIRC, the problem is the delayed allocation extent split runs out of
> it's reserved block count if you split it enough times. The case
> I've seen is that  the indlen calculated in xfs_bmap_worst_indlen()
> ends up too small for a subsequent allocation after we've called
> xfs_bmap_del_extent() to delete the middle of a delalloc extent too
> many times.
>
> Brian had some patches that attempted to solve it - we may have
> simply dropped the ball on this (again).
>
> http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2014-09/msg00337.html

I recall working on this, but not quite where it left off. If I dig back
to my old tree from before the oss.sgi.com->vger switchover, I have a v1
branch for this work that was posted here:

It looks like we just never got it reviewed and I since lost track of
it. I can resurrect it if warranted. I would like to nail down a current
reproducer though...

Brian