Re: sleeps and waits during io_submit

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 09:26:42PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 12/01/2015 08:51 PM, Brian Foster wrote:

> >>The case of waiting for I/O is much more worrying, because I/O latency are
> >>much higher.  But it seems like most of the DIO path does not trigger
> >>locking around I/O (and we are careful to avoid the ones that do, like
> >>writing beyond eof).
> >>
> >>(sorry for repeating myself, I have the feeling we are talking past each
> >>other and want to be on the same page)
> >>
> >Yeah, my point is just that just because the thread blocked on I/O,
> >doesn't mean the cpu can't carry on with some useful work for another
> >task.
>
> In our case, there is no other task.  We run one thread per logical core, so
> if that thread gets blocked, the cpu idles.
>
> The whole point of io_submit() is to issue an I/O and let the caller
> continue processing immediately.  It is the equivalent of O_NONBLOCK for
> networking code.  If O_NONBLOCK did block from time to time, practically all
> modern network applications would see a huge performance drop.

Ok, but my understanding is that O_NONBLOCK would return an error code
in the blocking case such that userspace can do something else or retry
from a blockable context. I think this is similar to what hch posted wrt
to the pwrite2() bits for nonblocking buffered I/O or what I was asking
about earlier on with regard to returning an error if some blocking
would otherwise occur.

> >>But, for the most part, XFS seems to be able to avoid sleeping.  The call to
> >>__blockdev_direct_IO only launches the I/O, so any locking is only around
> >>cpu operations and, unless there is contention, won't cause us to sleep in
> >>io_submit().
> >>
> >>Trying to follow the code, it looks like xfs_get_blocks_direct (and
> >>__blockdev_direct_IO's get_block parameter in general) is synchronous, so
> >>we're just lucky to have everything in cache.  If it isn't, we block right
> >>there.  I really hope I'm misreading this and some other magic is happening
> >>elsewhere instead of this.
> >>
> >Nope, it's synchronous from a code perspective. The
> >xfs_bmapi_read()->xfs_iread_extents() path could have to read in the
> >inode bmap metadata if it hasn't been done already. Note that this
> >should only happen once as everything is stored in-core, so in most
> >cases this is skipped. It's also possible extents are read in via some
> >other path/operation on the inode before an async I/O happens to be
> >submitted (e.g., see some of the other xfs_bmapi_read() callers).
>
> Is there (could we add) some ioctl to prime this cache?  We could call it
> from a worker thread where we don't mind blocking during open.

I suppose that's possible, or the worker thread could perform some
existing operation known to prime the cache. I don't think it's worth
getting into without a concrete example, however. The extent read
example we're batting around might not ever be a problem (as you've
noted due to file size), if files are truncated and recycled, for
example.

> What is the eviction policy for this cache?   Is it simply the block
> device's page cache?

IIUC the extent list stays around until the inode is reclaimed. There's
a separate buffer cache for metadata buffers. Both types of objects
would be reclaimed based on memory pressure.

> What about the write path, will we see the same problems there?  I would
> guess the problem is less severe there if the metadata is written with
> writeback policy.

Metadata is modified in-core and handed off to the logging
infrastructure via a transaction. The log is flushed to disk some time
later and metadata writeback occurs asynchronously via the xfsaild
thread.

Brian