Re: Question on how to submit changed code

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 03:16:11PM +0000, Epp, Mike wrote:
> I have changed code in libxfs and repair projects for xfsprogs.  I
> don't view the changes as desired for ongoing deployment, as they
> allowed scanning of active volumes and bring the chance of false
> errors.  To stay compliant with GNU GPL though we must publish the
> code.  What are the steps I need to follow to publish the changes?

Many options, but you should really be asking you company's legal
counsel this question.

>From my perspective, either of these would work:

	- add a page to your company's website with a link from the
	  home page that contains the tarballs of modified packages.
	- put the modified source code up in a repository on github
	  (or similar) and include a link from the website
	- send patches to an archived mailing list whenever you
	  change the code, and place a link to the archive on your
	  website home page.

> Do I need to publish just the source files I changed, the entire
> projects I changes, or all of xfsprogs?

-> legal counsel

The license spells out what is necessary. All of the above are valid
interpretations....

> Mike Epp, Senior Software Engineer Kroll Ontrack |  9023 Columbine
> Road, Eden Prairie, MN 55347
> mepp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:mepp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> www.krollontrack.com<http://www.krollontrack.com/ohttp:/www.krollontrack.com/>
> This communication contains information that is confidential,
> proprietary in nature, and may also be attorney-client privileged
> and/or work product privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the
> intended recipient(s).

[snip]

And any code you send to the mailing list must have a valid
signed-off-by and not have a bunch of restrictive legal mumbo jumbo
on the end of it....

Cheers,

Dave.

--