Re: v5 filesystem corruption due to log recovery lsn ordering

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 10:10:35AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 10:39:23AM -0400, Brian Foster wrote:
> > >
> > > We can't prevent that - that horse has already bolted.
> >
> > Well, the feature bit can potentially do that. I'm not terribly fond of
> > it (overkill) and the goal was't to fix older kernels so much as to
> > prevent the problem from being reintroduced on newer kernels going
> > forward (provided newer kernels implemented this mount-time LSN
> > inheritance scheme).
>
> We can prevent the problem of old userspace on newer kernels by
> detecting a zeroed log - we don't need a feature bit for that.
>
> > In other words, the proposed solution depends on trust of the metadata
> > LSNs. One way we can trust those metadata LSNs is to prevent older
> > kernels/xfsprogs from messing with them.
>
> Well, it's old userspace we need to worry about here - kernels don't
> zero the log...

The concern was just that older kernels could reset the LSNs of the key
metadata inspected at mount time and thus defeat the mechanism on new
kernels. This doesn't matter so much now that we'll have a more broad
warning mechanism in place.

> > That said, I don't really agree with the assertion that upgraded
> > userspace alone sufficiently alleviates the problem. A filesystem that's
> > been around a while and has more recently been repaired is susceptible
> > to this problem for the foreseeable future, upgraded userspace or not,
> > until either all metadata with stale LSNs is updated or the problem is
> > identified and repaired explicitly.
>
> But there's nothing we can do in userspace to fix that. More on that
> below.

Right...

> > > Sure, I just threw it out as a way to get a more recent LSN. The
> > > only way to reliably get the highest LSN is to walk all the metadata
> > > in the filesystem. We can't do that at mount time, so perhaps it
> > > is best to just refuse to mount read-write and issue a warning to
> > > upgrade xfsprogs and re-run xfs_repair.
> > >

> > Indeed, that sounds like a nicer approach to me. We're really only
> > considering the superblock at mount time though (note that repair resets
> > AG header LSNs), so we're not going to be guaranteed the mount fails for
> > all affected fs'. What do you think about also firing a (one-time,
> > probably) warning if we ever update a bit of metadata with a smaller
> > LSN?
>
> Larger LSN, you mean? ;)

Well, aren't incremental LSN updates the normal course of things? E.g.,
metadata is updated, the log pushes forward, the metadata is updated
again with a larger LSN.

Oh, I see. We're just looking at the logic differently. My thought above
was to fire a warning on the action of updating a piece of metadata with
a smaller current LSN. E.g., detect in the write verifier that the
metadata LSN has gone backwards...

> But, yes, that is what I was thinking for solving the "horse has
> already bolted" condition you described above. We can detect LSNs
> beyond the current log in the metadata we read from disk and issue a
> warning.  e.g in each metadata verifiers we add a:
>
> 	if (xfs_verify_lsn(mp, hdr->lsn))
> 		return false;

... whereas you're suggesting to update read verifiers to detect that
metadata LSN is valid according to the log, which means the warning
fires if the metadata LSN is larger than the current LSN.

So the validation logic sounds the same, but it sounds like a better
idea to check in the read verifier. That provides far more reliable
detection in that modifications aren't necessary to detect the problem.

> then we can warn immediately that this is a problem. If we discover
> it during log recovery (i.e. lsn beyond the current head in the log
> in a block that passes all the other metadata self checks) then we
> can shut down or force the filesystem into read-only mode so that
> the user has to update xfsprogs and run repair to fix it because we
> can't safely run log recovery at this point.

Good idea.

> > That bit of metadata is now "fixed" once written out, but the point is
> > that the log item for this metadata was probably not effective and to
> > notify the user that the fs' LSNs are potentially out of whack and a
> > repair is in order.
>
> That's true - if we don't hit a bad lsn in recovery, we just issue a
> one-time warning from the verifiers and continue onwards. If the
> user is lucky, the problem will fix itself before it is ever a
> problem for recovery.
>
> > > So, to repair: have it record LSNs as it walks the metadata and
> > > at the start of phase 5 have it select a new cycle number higher
> > > than the highest LSN found in the filesystem. Stamp the log with
> > > that cycle number as well as all metadata that is being rebuilt
> > > in phase 5, and all the superblocks.
> > >
> > > Problem solved.
> > >

> > Yeah, I was thinking of just using the current head of the log, as
> > described in my random note. Using the LSN from the metadata is probably
> > necessary in the cases where the log might be corrupted, however.
>
> And as a minor detail, I'd take the cycle number from the highest
> LSN and bump it a few cycles just to make sure that the new LSN is
> well beyond anything in the filesystem...

Indeed, my current thought was to just bump the log up to the start of
the next cycle. We can get more into that when I have some code...

> > The solution of detection in the kernel and a fix in repair sounds
> > pretty good to me provided the detection is robust (e.g., the point
> > above wrt a warning). Then we have something in current kernels that can
> > effectively handle the problem regardless of how it might have been
> > (re)introduced and it's fairly simple as well.
>
> *nod*
>
> I think we have a plan :)

Thanks!

Brian