Re: The (desired) state OS X support for xfsprogs

On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 08:18:42AM -0400, Jan Tulak wrote:
> Hi all
>
> As I started the theme a bit it in another thread, I post it here in a
> standalone email, to bring it to a wider audience.
>
> What are the plans regarding xfsprogs on OS X? Officially,
> by documentation, it should be buildable, though only some binaries
> (like mkfs and repair) are usable. But when I did a small reality check
> on OS X Yosemite (10.10) and tried to build it by the doc/INSTALL,
> I got tons of this.
>

> libxfs_priv.h:371:0: error: syntax error in macro parameter list
>  #define xfs_cmn_err(tag,level,mp,fmt,args...) cmn_err(level,fmt, ## args)
>  ^
> libxfs_priv.h:372:0: error: syntax error in macro parameter list
>  #define xfs_warn(mp,fmt,args...)  cmn_err(CE_WARN,fmt, ## args)
>  ^
> libxfs_priv.h:373:0: error: syntax error in macro parameter list
>  #define xfs_alert(mp,fmt,args...)  cmn_err(CE_ALERT,fmt, ## args)
>

> There are more macros with the same error. (Of course, the same code compiles
> on Linux with no issue.) As a bonus, to even get to compiling the code,
> I had to throw away the Xcode clang and install a gcc myself (from macports),
> because of some arguments passed to the compiler that aren't supported in the
> ones shipped by Apple. (Didn't remember them, sorry.)
>
> Formally we claim to support OS X, but apparently it doesn't work as we
> declare. So the question is, should we fix it and continue in the support?
> Or should we drop it?

Alternative platform support will work if someone with an interest
in maintaining it sends patches to make it work ;) I'm happy to take
such patches - that's how we got the multiple platform support in
the first place....

It sounds like a compiler support check is needed in the autoconf
code (i.e. check for ## macro vararg support, etc) so that it fails
fast on apple's compiler.

> P.S.: For the question "who would do it" - most likely me. I have
> a Mac and being able to build xfsprogs locally when working on it
> would be nice.  But I'm really not sure if there is any other boon
> except my own leisure. :-)

If you want to make it work, then by all means make it work. I'm not
going to stop you ;)

Cheers,

Dave.
--