Re: XFS Syncd

Sorry, I dropped the ball on this one. We found some other problems
and I was busy fixing them.

So, the xfsaild thread/s that kick in every 30 seconds are hitting us
pretty badly. Here's a graph with the latest tests I ran. We get great
throughput for ~18 seconds but then the world pretty much stops for
the next ~12 seconds or so making the final numbers look pretty bad.
This particular graph was plotted when the disk had ~150GB of data
(total capacity of 3TB).

I am using a 3.16.0-38-generic kernel (upgraded since the time I wrote
the first email on this thread).

I know fs.xfs.xfssyncd_centisecs controls this interval of 30 seconds.
What other options can I tune for making this work better?

We have 8 disks. And unfortunately, all 8 disks are brought to a halt
every 30 seconds. Does XFS have options to only work on a subset of
disks at a time?

Also, what does XFS exactly do every 30 seconds? If I understand it
right, metadata can be 3 locations:

1. Memory
2. Log buffer on disk
3. Final location on disk.

Every 30 seconds, from where to where is this metadata being copied?
Are there ways to just disable this to avoid the stop-of-the-world
pauses (at the cost of lower but sustained performance)?

Thanks in advance.
-Shri