Re: xfs_repair segfault + debug info

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 03:03:57PM +0100, Mike Grant wrote:
> We recently had a 180TB XFS filesystem go down after following some
> ill-considered advice from a Dell tech (re-onlining a maybe-failed disk,
> which one might think was ok..).  It's not irreplaceable data, but
> xfs_repair segfaults when trying to fix up and I thought that might be
> of interest here to help fix the segfault.  We're not expecting to
> recover the data, though it would be nice.
>
> Partial logs & backtraces of xfs_repair runs using the latest Centos-7
> xfsprogs package and also run with the xfs_repair built from the git
> master, copies of core dumps and a metadump are at:
>  https://rsg.pml.ac.uk/shared_files/mggr/xfs_segfault

Given it is choking on directory corruption repair, I'd strong
recommend trying the current git version (3.2.3-rc1) here:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/xfs/xfsprogs-dev.git

> Maximum memory use was only about 1GB by the time of the crash, and
> there was 120GB+ of swap available, so I don't think that was an issue.
>  The command was "xfs_repair -v /dev/md0 -t 60 -P".
>
> Run time is about 2 hours to a crash and we'll probably want to wipe and

Probably because you turned off prefetch, which makes it *slow*. :P

I'd build the new xfsprogs, restore the metadump to a file on a
different machine, and then run the new xfs_repair binary on the
restored metadump image. That will tell you pretty quickly if the
problem is solved. If it is solved, then you can run the new
xfs_repair on the real server.

Just remember, though, that even once the FS has been repaired,
you'll still have to search for data corruption manually and deal
with that...

Cheers,

Dave.
--