Re: [ceph-users] xfs corruption, data disaster!

On 5/11/15 9:47 AM, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> On 05/05/2015 04:13 AM, Yujian Peng wrote:
>> Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@...> writes:

>>> For XFS problems, ask the XFS ML: xfs <at> oss.sgi.com
>>>
>>> You didn't give enough details, by far. What version of kernel and
>>> distro are you running? If there were errors, please post extensive
>>> logs. If you have IO errors on some disks, you probably MUST replace
>>> them before going any further.
>>>
>>> Why did you run xfs_repair -L ? Did you try xfs_repair without options
>>> first? Were you running the very very latest version of xfs_repair
>>> (3.2.2) ?
>>>
>> The OS is ubuntu 12.04.5 with kernel 3.13.0
>> uname -a
>> Linux ceph19 3.13.0-32-generic #57~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 15 03:51:20
>> UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>> cat /etc/issue
>> Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS \n \l
>> xfs_repair -V
>> xfs_repair version 3.1.7
>> I've tried xfs_repair without options, but it showed me some errors, so I
>> used the -L option.
>> Thanks for your reply!
>>

> Responding quickly to a couple of things:
>
> * xfs_repair -L wipes out the XFS log, not normally a good thing to do

And if required due to an unreplayable log, often indicates some problem
with the storage system.  For example a volatile write cache not synced as
needed, and lost along with a power loss, leading to a corrupted and
unreplayable XFS log.

> * replacing disks with IO errors is not a great idea if you still
> need that data. You might want to copy the data from that disk to a
> new disk (same or greater size) and then try to repair that new disk.
> A lot depends on the type of IO error you see - you might have cable
> issues, HBA issues, or fairly normal read issues (which are not worth
> replacing a disk for).

Just a note that XFS sometimes starts saying "IO error" when the filesystem
has shut down; this isn't the same as a block-device-level IO error, but you
haven't posted logs or anything, so I'm just guessing here.

http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_What_information_should_I_include_when_reporting_a_problem.3F

-Eric