[ANNOUNCE] xfs: Supporting Host Aware SMR Drives

Hi Folks,

As I told many people at Vault last week, I wrote a document
outlining how we should modify the on-disk structures of XFS to
support host aware SMR drives on the (long) plane flights to Boston.

TL;DR: not a lot of change to the XFS kernel code is required, no
specific SMR awareness is needed by the kernel code.  Only
relatively minor tweaks to the on-disk format will be needed and
most of the userspace changes are relatively straight forward, too.

The source for that document can be found in this git tree here:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/xfs/xfs-documentation

in the file design/xfs-smr-structure.asciidoc. Alternatively,
pull it straight from cgit:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/fs/xfs/xfs-documentation.git/tree/design/xfs-smr-structure.asciidoc

Or there is a pdf version built from the current TOT on the xfs.org
wiki here:

http://xfs.org/index.php/Host_Aware_SMR_architecture

Happy reading!

Cheers,