Re: extremely slow file creation/deletion after xfs ran full

Hi Stan

On 01/13/2015 09:06 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> This workload seems more suited to a database than a filesystem. Though
> surely you've already considered such, and chose not to go that route.

Yepp, but as we do not fully control the server software and need to
work further on the binary blobs arriving, a database is also not that
well suited for it, but yes, we looked into it (and run mysql, marida,
cassandra, mongo, postgresql, ...)

> With high fragmentation you get lots of seeking.  What model disks are
> these?  What is your RAID10 geometry?  Are your partitions properly
> aligned to that geometry, and to the drives (512n/512e)?

Disks are 2TB Hitachi SATA drives (Ultrastar, HUA722020ALA330). As these
are some yrs old, they are native 512byte ones. They are connected via
an Areca 1261ML controller with a Supermicro backplane.

RAID striping is not ideal (128kByte per member disk) and thus our xfs
layout is not ideal as well. Things we plan to change with the next
attempt ;)

After the arrival of "advanced format" HDD and SSDs we usually try to
align everything to full 1 MByte or larger, just to be sure any
combination of 512b, 4kb, ... will eventually align :)

Cheers

Carsten