Re: XFS corrupt after RAID failure and resync

On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 10:47:00AM +1100, David Raffelt wrote:
> Hi Brain,
> Below is the root inode data. I'm currently running xfs_metadump and will
> send you a link to the file.
> Cheers!
> David

Thanks for the metadump. It appears that repair complains about the sb
magic number and goes off scanning for secondary superblocks due to a
bug in verify_set_primary_sb(). This function scans through all the
superblocks and tries to find a consistent value across the set by
tracking which valid sb value occurs most frequently. The bug is that
even if enough valid superblocks are found, we return the validity of
the last sb we happened to look at.

In your case, 10 or so of the 32 superblocks are corrupted and the last
one scanned ('sb 31,' 'p') is one of those. If I work around that issue,
the repair continues on a bit. It generates a _ton_ of noise and
eventually falls over somewhere else (and if I work around that, the
cycle repeats yet again somewhere else). Anyways, I'm adding to my todo
list to take a closer look at this code and perhaps put together a test
case if we don't have enough coverage as is, but that problem doesn't
appear to be gating the ability to recover this particular fs.

Given that, and as Dave pointed out from the output below, the root
inode is clearly completely zeroed out, it does appear that this array
ended up pretty scrambled one way or another. The best I can recommend
is to try and see if the array can be put back together in some manner
that repair can cope with or restore from whatever backups might be
available (others more familiar with md are better help here).

It also might be a good idea to audit the array recovery process
involved with this scenario for future occurrences, because clearly
something went horribly wrong. E.g., was the hotspare or whatever other
array mods made done via script or manually? Do the storage servers that
run these arrays have sane shutdown/startup sequences in the event of
degraded/syncing/busy arrays? etc. It might be worthwhile to try and
reproduce some of these array failure conditions on a test box to
identify any problems with the recovery process before it has to be run
again on one of your other glusterfs servers.

Brian