Re: Disconnected inodes after test xfs/261

On 12/18/14 21:03, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 02:55:55PM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:

>>>   No, the problem is still there after mounting and unmounting the
>>> filesystem.
>>>
>>> Given what Michael wrote: I'm running xfs_repair version 3.2.1, filesystem
>>> is V4.
>>>
>>> When I look via xfs_db at the inode I can see nlink is 1 which looks
>>> strange. So maybe the problem is somewhere else than I thought:
>>> xfs_db> inode 132
>>> xfs_db> p
>>> core.magic = 0x494e
>>> core.mode = 0100000
>>> core.version = 2
>>> core.format = 2 (extents)
>>> core.nlinkv2 = 1
>>> core.onlink = 0
>>> core.projid_lo = 0
>>> core.projid_hi = 0
>>> core.uid = 0
>>> core.gid = 0
>>> core.flushiter = 1
>>> core.atime.sec = Thu Dec 18 11:08:55 2014
>>> core.atime.nsec = 510013169
>>> core.mtime.sec = Thu Dec 18 11:08:55 2014
>>> core.mtime.nsec = 510013169
>>> core.ctime.sec = Thu Dec 18 11:08:55 2014
>>> core.ctime.nsec = 510013169
>>> core.size = 0
>>> core.nblocks = 1
>>> core.extsize = 0
>>> core.nextents = 1
>>> core.naextents = 0
>>> core.forkoff = 0
>>> core.aformat = 2 (extents)
>>> core.dmevmask = 0
>>> core.dmstate = 0
>>> core.newrtbm = 0
>>> core.prealloc = 0
>>> core.realtime = 0
>>> core.immutable = 0
>>> core.append = 0
>>> core.sync = 0
>>> core.noatime = 0
>>> core.nodump = 0
>>> core.rtinherit = 0
>>> core.projinherit = 0
>>> core.nosymlinks = 0
>>> core.extsz = 0
>>> core.extszinherit = 0
>>> core.nodefrag = 0
>>> core.filestream = 0
>>> core.gen = 0
>>> next_unlinked = null
>>> u.bmx[0] = [startoff,startblock,blockcount,extentflag] 0:[0,13,1,0]
>>>
>>> I have taken xfs_metadump just after test xfs/261 completed and xfs_repair
>>> reported error. It is attached.
>>   OK, so I understand better what's going on. The detached inodes are
>> actually inodes from quota files being created by quotacheck on mount. Test
>> xfs/261 first mounts with uquota - that adds user quota ino and quota
>> feature just fine. But then it mounts with gquota - now we go through
>> different path since xfs_sb_version_hasquota() is already true. We find
>> that group quota isn't initialized though and thus we still need to
>> allocate inode for group quota file. However the change to sb_gquotaino
>> isn't written out because the following test in xfs_sb_quota_to_disk()
>> fails:
>>
>> 	if ((*fields & XFS_SB_GQUOTINO) &&
>>                                 (from->sb_qflags & XFS_GQUOTA_ACCT))
>>                 to->sb_gquotino = cpu_to_be64(from->sb_gquotino);
>>
>> because from->sb_qflags doesn't have XFS_GQUOTA_ACCT set (only
>> mp->m_qflags has XFS_GQUOTA_ACCT set).
>
> I think you've got that wrong, but at the same time got it right. ;)
>
> That is, we get there through xfs_qm_mount_quotas(), which does this
> in the the write_changes section:
>
>         spin_lock(&mp->m_sb_lock);
>         sbf = mp->m_sb.sb_qflags;
>         mp->m_sb.sb_qflags = mp->m_qflags & XFS_MOUNT_QUOTA_ALL;
>         spin_unlock(&mp->m_sb_lock);
>
>         if (sbf != (mp->m_qflags & XFS_MOUNT_QUOTA_ALL)) {
>                 if (xfs_qm_write_sb_changes(mp, XFS_SB_QFLAGS)) {
>
> Hence (from->sb_qflags & XFS_GQUOTA_ACCT) evaluates are true because
> we've copied mp->m_qflags into from->sb_qflags before logging the
> change. that's the bit you got wrong.
>
> However, the code there only passes XFS_SB_QFLAGS to xfs_log_sb(),
> and that means (*fileds & XFS_SB_GQUOTINO) evaluates as false, and
> we fail to write the new group quota inode. SO you are right in that
> this is the check that is failing. :)
>
> And, again, the reason I wasn't able to reproduce it is that I
> tested on a kernel running that "get rid of field based superblock
> logging", which meant the above check was simply:
>
> 	if (from->sb_qflags & XFS_GQUOTA_ACCT)
> 		to->sb_gquotino = cpu_to_be64(from->sb_gquotino);
>
> and, from above, we know that this is set appropriately. Hence the
> group quota inode was updated and the test did not fail.
>
> FYI, I noticed a bunch of these sb logging field bugs a while back, which
> is why I wrote the patch to simply get rid of it. You've found two
> of those bugs in the past few days....

And I didn't do very well in hunting things down.  Bisect took me
back to "xfs: Start using pquotaino from the superblock", but that
first bisect step took me to 3.14 and probably over the recent
fixes.  Just chiming in to note that even before then, the new
xfsprogs is needed for xfs/261 to pass outright.  Also, the patches
cited elsewhere in this thread didn't seem to solve matters...but
the second patch had to be placed in by hand.

Thanks!

Michael