Re: How to determine the reserved blocks in xfs filesystem ?

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 08:32:07AM -0500, Brian Foster wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 06:05:58PM +0530, Mukul Malhotra wrote:
> > ​Hello,
> >
> > Does xfs have reserved blocks too, like ext* ? if yes, how can they be
> > determined ?​
> >

> XFS reserves blocks internally such that it can perform operations when
> all free space is consumed, etc. It looks like 5% is the default.

Not quite.

        /*
         * We default to 5% or 8192 fsbs of space reserved, whichever is
         * smaller.  This is intended to cover concurrent allocation
         * transactions when we initially hit enospc. These each require a 4
         * block reservation. Hence by default we cover roughly 2000 concurrent
         * allocation reservations.
         */

So, in most cases, there are 32MB of reserved blocks available for
internal emergency use.

> I don't think it's "like ext4," however, which reserves blocks for the
> root user. I don't believe the reserved blocks in XFS are accessible for
> file allocation by any user unless the reserve pool is modified as such.

Most definitely not "like ext4". The reserved blocks are considered
"used space" (i.e. not available to any user) and are reported as
such in statfs() output (e.g. via df).

Cheers,

Dave.
--