Re: clone of filesystem across network preserving ionodes

On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 09:10:10PM +0000, Meij, Henk wrote:
> inodes, yes, yes.  I tried xfs_copy but ran into a problem.
> server1 and server2 each have 4x28T partitions and on server1
> writing the file to one empty partition mounted never finishes,
> hangs at 90%...presumably because it runs out of space (file size
> == sdbx).

Sure, but it's a sparse copy. It only copies the allocated blocks in
the filesystem, so the actual space required is the used space int
eh filesystem (i.e. what df reports as used).

> there is no "skip empty inodes" option and perhaps there
> can't be...

Of course not - you're wanting identical inode numbers on
either end, so your only option is and identical copy. Otherwise
you'd use xfsdump/xfsrestore to skip empty inodes...

> and I have nothing larger. I guess I could attempt
> making sdb4 slightly larger by reducing sdb1-3.

Exactly why do you need an *identical* copy of 28TB filesystems?
What is the problem with inode numbers being different?  And that
begs the question: if you need the filesystems to be completely
identical yet exist on separate systems, then why aren't you using a
block layer construct designed for such operation (e.g. drdb)?

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner