Re: [RFC v2] Unicode/UTF-8 support for XFS

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 09:56:05AM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> My take on this is:
>
>  - I think we'll have to prevent non-utf8 file names for any cases where
>    we use utf8 normalization.  If you do not use utf8 normalization
>    it's plain old Unix everything is allowed.
>
>  - I think utf8 normalization vs not should be mkfs option, to make sure
>    everyone including kernel and repair knows what sort of filesystem
>    deal with.
>
>  - case insensitive matching for utf8 normalized filesystems should be
>    a runtime decision.  mount time for now, but Samba people would be
>    extremly happy to allow per-operation or per-process CI matching.
>    But that is another totally different discusion I'd like to keep
>    separate, I just want to make sure the disk format allows for it for
>    now.

Actually, I'm so eager for case-insensitive matching I'd
take "at format time", as with ZFS :-) :-).

Having CI matching can speed up Samba operations by a
factor of 10 on large directories (warning, number made
up, depending on the number of entries per dir :-).

Jeremy.