Re: inode64 directory placement determinism

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 11:16:12AM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 17:01:53 +1000, Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 10:29:21PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> >> Say I have a single 4TB disk in an md linear device.  The md device has
> >> filesystem on it formatted with defaults.  It has 4 AGs, 0-3.  I have
> >> created 4 directories.  Each should reside in a different AG, the first
> >> in
> >> AG0.  Now I expand the linear device with an identical 4TB disk and
> >> execute
> >> xfs_growfs.  I now have 4 more AGs, 4-7.  I create 4 more directories.
> >>
> >> Will these 4 new dirs be created sequentially in AGs 4-7, or in the
> first
> >> 4 AGs?  Is this deterministic, or is there any chance involved?  On the
> >
> > Deterministic, assuming single threaded *file-system-wide* directory
> > creation. Completely unpredictable under concurrent directory
> > creations.  See xfs_ialloc_ag_select/xfs_ialloc_next_ag.
> >
> > Note that the rotor used to select the next AG is set to
> > zero at mount.
> >
> > i.e. single threaded behaviour at agcount = 4:
> >
> > dir number	rotor value	  destination AG
> >  1		  0			0
> >  2		  1			1
> >  3		  2			2
> >  4		  3			3
> >  5		  0			0
> >  6		  1			1
> >
> > So, if you do what you suggest, and grow *after* the first 4 dirs
> > are created, the above is what you'll get because the rotor goes
> > back to zero on the fourth directory create. Now, with changing from
> > 4 to 8 AGs after the first 4:
> >
> > dir number	rotor value	  new inode location (AG)
> >  1		  0			0
> >  2		  1			1
> >  3		  2			2
> >  4		  3			3
> > <grow to 8 AGs>
> >  5		  0			0
> >  6		  1			1
> >  7		  2			2
> >  8		  3			3
> >  9		  4			4
> >  10		  5			5
> >  11		  6			6
> >  13		  7			7
> >  14		  0			0
> >
> >> real system these 4TB drives are actually 48TB LUNs.  I'm after
> >> deterministic parallel bandwidth to subsequently added RAIDs after each
> >> grow operation by simply writing to the proper directory.
> >
> > Just create new directories and use the inode number to
> > determine their location. If the directory is not in the correct AG,
> > remove it and create a new one, until you have directories located
> > in the AGs you want.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Dave.
>

> Thanks for the info Dave.  Was hoping it would be more straightforward.
> Modifying the app for this is out of the question.  They've spent 3+ years
> developing with EXT4 and decided to try XFS at the last minute.  Product is
> [...]

Perhaps you could actually tell us what the requirement for
layout/separation is, and how they are acheiving it with ext4. We
really need a more "directed" allocation ability, but it's not clear
exactly what requirements need to drive that.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner