Re: use-after-free on log replay failure

On Wed, Aug 06, 2014 at 01:05:34PM +0300, Alex Lyakas wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 2:07 AM, Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 02:00:05PM +0300, Alex Lyakas wrote:
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> we had a log replay failure due to some errors that the underlying
> >> block device returned:
> >> [49133.801406] XFS (dm-95): metadata I/O error: block 0x270e8c180
> >> ("xlog_recover_iodone") error 28 numblks 16
> >> [49133.802495] XFS (dm-95): log mount/recovery failed: error 28
> >> [49133.802644] XFS (dm-95): log mount failed
> >
> > #define ENOSPC          28      /* No space left on device */
> >
> > You're getting an ENOSPC as a metadata IO error during log recovery?
> > Thin provisioning problem, perhaps,
> Yes, it is a thin provisioning problem (which I already know the cause for).
>
> > and the error is occurring on
> > submission rather than completion? If so:
> >
> > 8d6c121 xfs: fix buffer use after free on IO error
> I am not sure what do you mean by "submission rather than completion".
> Do you mean that xfs_buf_ioapply_map() returns without submitting any
> bios?

No, that the bio submission results in immediate failure (e.g. the
device goes away, so submission results in ENODEV). Hence when
_xfs_buf_ioapply() releases it's IO reference itis the only
remaining reference to the buffer and so completion processing is
run immediately. i.e. inline from the submission path.

Normally IO errors are reported through the bio in IO completion
interrupt context. i.e the IO is completed by the hardware and the
error status is attached to bio, which is then completed and we get
into XFS that way. The IO submision context is long gone at this
point....

> In that case, no, bios are submitted to the block device, and it
> fails them through a different context with ENOSPC error. I will still
> try the patch you mentioned, because it also looks relevant to another
> question I addressed to you earlier in:
> http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2013-11/msg00648.html

No, that's a different problem.

9c23ecc xfs: unmount does not wait for shutdown during unmount

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner