Re: Problem building xfsprogs

I have just recently gone through the process of attempting to build and run xfstests based on the current sources from oss.sgi.com.
Not having exactly the correct packages and kernel version creates problems. The build on FEDORA fails complaining about too many symlinks, I was successful on SUSE V 13 updated to kernel v3.15 and adding the following packages before attempting git and the build:

git gcc libtool automake make gettext-tools libattr-devel libacl-devel libuuid-devel ncurses-devel quota indent libcap-progs btrfsprogs

I then git and built xfsprogs followed by xfsdump and finally xfstests

After adding the fsgqa group and user the appropriate definitions of TEST_DEV and SCRATCH_DEV the quick test (./check -g quick)
runs with 5 errors on xfs and one error on ext4.

If you just want xfstest to run - you may want to start with SUSE and the procedure above.

Martin Furuhjlem

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[cc xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx - list for XFS issues]

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 11:06:41AM -0500, scameron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm trying to build xfsprogs (in order to run xfstests), and I'm running into this:
>
> [scameron@localhost xfsprogs]$ git log --oneline | head -1
> ba24eb7 logprint: Fix printing of AGF and AGI buffers
> [scameron@localhost xfsprogs]$ git pull
> Already up-to-date.
> [scameron@localhost xfsprogs]$ git diff
> [scameron@localhost xfsprogs]$ ./configure
> checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking for gcc... gcc
>
> [...snip...]
>
> checking for library containing blkid_probe_all... -lblkid
> checking for blkid_probe_get_topology... yes
> checking for readdir... yes
> checking size of long... 8
> checking size of char *... 8
> checking for __psint_t ... no
> checking for __psunsigned_t ... no
> checking for __u32 ... yes
> checking for umode_t... yes
> configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: creating include/builddefs
> config.status: creating include/platform_defs.h
> config.status: include/platform_defs.h is unchanged
> config.status: executing libtool commands
> [scameron@localhost xfsprogs]$ make
> Building include

Nothing built in the include directory - is this a clean build area?

> Building libxfs
> gmake[2]: *** No rule to make target `.ltdep', needed by `ltdepend'.  Stop.
> gmake[1]: *** [libxfs] Error 2
> make: *** [default] Error 2
>
> Any ideas what's wrong here?

The automatic dependency generation failed to generate the .ltdep
file. But it can't be a clean build area, because the libxfs build
rule is:

default: crc32selftest ltdepend $(LTLIBRARY)

and I don't see the crc32selftest rule being executed before the
dependencies are generated. It shoul dlook something like:

$ make
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating include/builddefs
config.status: creating include/platform_defs.h
config.status: executing libtool commands
Building include
    [LN]     xfs
    [LN]     disk
Building libxfs
    [CC]     gen_crc32table
    [GENERATE] crc32table.h
    [TEST]    CRC32
CRC_LE_BITS = 32
crc32: tests passed, 225944 bytes in 131 usec
crc32c: tests passed, 225944 bytes in 131 usec
    [CC]     cache.lo

So the first thing I'd do is run 'make realclean; make' to restart
the build for a clean workarea first. If that doesn't fix the
problem, then I'll need to know versions of libtool, gcc, etc that
you are using and you'll need to post the output of "make realclean;
make Q=" so we can see the command line that is actually failing.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner