Re: Got "Internal error XFS_WANT_CORRUPTED_GOTO". Filesystem needs reformatting to correct issue.

On Friday, 2014-07-04 at 10:04 +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
On Fri, Jul 04, 2014 at 01:34:52AM +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Ah, but my problem would then not happen always on the same
partition. It would affect others, would not?

It needs a busy/dirty filesystem. if the other filesystems are
mostly idle, then they are unlikely to trip over the problem.

Right...

Ok, true, there is no formal "Oops".

But no, the system does not remains fine, I had to hit the hardware
reset or power off button to get out.

That usually only happens when the root filesystem is shut down and
you can't access any of the binaries needed to run the system. Is
the filesystem that is shutting down the root?

No, it is not. Root is separate and using ext4. The problematic one is /home.

What I did, as far I remember, was, when I noticed that home had failed and was read only, to switch to runlevel 1, umount /home (killing the apps that were still using it), then tried to mount it again to replay the log, prior to using xfs-repair on it. Mount hung. ctrl-alt-supr failed, or appeared to fail. So reset button...

But it only happens on the /home partition, not on the email
partition, for instance, also in the same hard disk.

/home is typically where all the application have open files and are
writing data to.

Email partitions are unlikely to have problems because email
programs are pretty good about using fsync() to ensure your email
doesn't go missing and so aren't dirty at the time of a hibernation.

Ok, understood.

No, the on disk filesystem is not healthy. If I continue using it,
after reboot and using "xfs_repair" several times, it fails again
within a day.

After at least one hibernation and thaw cycle, right?

Yes. 3, I think.

But there were kernel errors right after boot (XFS_WANT_CORRUPTED_RETURN).

FWIW, to rule out other issues with repair, you should probably
upgrade to the 3.2.0 xfsprogs release...

I may try that... I see it is available on http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/filesystems/openSUSE_13.1/,
version xfsprogs-3.2.0

Ok, I'll work on it.

- -- Cheers,
       Carlos E. R.
       (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)