Re: [DISCUSS] Planning for new dev cycle (3.17)

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 04:01:41PM -0400, Brian Foster wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 07:10:20PM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:

> > > I'm doing it layer by layer, starting from the linux interface
> > > layers and working my way down. e.g. fs/xfs/xfs_file.c first,
> > > the fs/xfs/xfs_iops.c, and so on, and there are multiple patches per
> > > file for each (roughly) logical change. e.g. converting xfs_iops.c:
> > [...]
> >
> > I've decided that there really is too much unnecessary code churn
> > from this approach. I end up converting all the call sites to negate
> > the error sign, and then end up converting them back to the original
> > code some time later, leaving only the source of the errors with a
> > changed sign.
> >
> > So, I stopped doing that to see just what the brute force, change
> > source and conversions only, and I found with a few simple searches
> > I could identify all the locations that need changing. So, in a
> > couple of hours I churned out the patch that converted everything.
> > Still pretty large, even though it only changes error values and
> > conversion points.
> >
> > 67 files changed, 879 insertions(+), 884 deletions(-)
> >
> > Not sure how I could break this up - it really is an all-or-nothing
> > patch this Big Hammer approach....
> >

> Yeah, now that I look at it, it's kind of hard to review as any other
> way as well. I've done some grepping and made a pass through all of the
> changes. I noticed some very minor things like not all of the comments
> being converted and some multi-line parameter lists going out of
> alignment, but I didn't bother to even make notes of those.
>
> I've gone through an xfstests run without any explosions as well.
>
> A couple general observations:
>
> - I assume the xfs_buf->b_error type change is intentional..?

yes - it was an unsigned short, which is incompaitble with negative
integer values, and there is a 2 byte hole in the xfs_buf structure
after it, anyway....

> - Same for the change in value for the ASSERT(error <=0 && error >=
>   -1000) assert in xfs_buf_ioerror (previously it used 64k).

Right - it was checking to see if it fit in an unsigned short, while
now it checks for the valid "negative errno" range the kernel uses.

> ... and I saw a few spots that looked like could still need conversion.

No surprises there...

> A diff is inlined below.

Yup, I missed a couple. I'll fold them in to the patch. Thanks!

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner