Re: Limits on agi->agi_level (and other btree depths?)

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 05:54:19PM -0600, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> If agi->agi_level exceeds XFS_BTREE_MAXLEVELS (8), bad things
> happen.  For example in xfs_inobt_init_cursor() we read it
> directly off disk into a btree cursor:
>
> xfs_inobt_init_cursor()
> 	cur->bc_nlevels = be32_to_cpu(agi->agi_level);
>
> and then when it's time to tear it down we'll index into bc_bufs[]
> buy whatever it said:
>
> xfs_btree_del_cursor()
>         for (i = 0; i < cur->bc_nlevels; i++) {
>                 if (cur->bc_bufs[i])
>                         xfs_trans_brelse(cur->bc_tp, cur->bc_bufs[i]);
>
> but bc_bufs[] in the xfs_btree_cur is of fixed size:
>
>         struct xfs_buf  *bc_bufs[XFS_BTREE_MAXLEVELS];  /* buf ptr per level */
>
> where
>
> #define XFS_BTREE_MAXLEVELS     8       /* max of all btrees */
>
> (which means this limits any btree depth, not just agi, right...)

> So I ran across this on an intentionally corrupted image, but I
> don't know what stops us from going past XFS_BTREE_MAXLEVELS in
> normal operations (unless we just hit filesystem limits before
> then?)

Right, we hit filesystem limits before we get deeper than 8 levels.

For an AGI btree, ptr/key pairs in a node use 8 bytes, while records
use 16 bytes. Hence worst case is a 512 byte blocksize filesystem
where we get roughly 30 records/leaf and 60 ptr/key pairs per node.

So, the number of extents we can reference at different levels are:

level	number
0	30
1	60 * 30
2	60^2 * 30
n	60^n * 30

In 1TB AG, worst case freespace is alternate single block freespace,
so that's 1TB/blocksize/2 = (2^31*2^9) / 2^9 / 2^1 = 2^30 extent
records for a 512 byte blocksize filesystem.

2^30  :  1,073,741,824 records
n = 5 :	23,328,000,000 records

So the maximum possible number of levels for an AGI btree is 6 (5
node levels + leaf level). The AGF btrees are the same (32 bit
key/ptrs, 16 byte records)

The AGF freespace trees are more dense - the records are only 8
bytes so there's 60/leaf. It still needs 6 levels though.

For the extent btree (bmbt) it can index 54 bits of file offset, so
worst case is single block fragments so 2^54 extents. Records are 16
bytes, key and pointers are 8 bytes each. Hence 30/30 are the
numbers for a 512 byte block size fs. At level n, the extents are
30^n * 30 = 30^(n+1). So, solving 2^54 <= 30^(n+1) gives n = 11.

So in theory we could overflow XFS_BTREE_MAXLEVELS here, but in
practice this worst case requires 30^8 extents in memory, and that
requires this much RAM:

	656,100,000,000 * sizeof(struct xfs_bmbt_irec) bytes
	= 656,100,000,000 * 32 bytes
	~= 19TiB

And requires reading in from disk 512 bytes at a time.  Nothing in
XFS^WLinux scales to indexing 19TiB of extent metadata with any
efficiency in this manner. And let's face it, if you have a 300TiB
file in single 512 byte block fragments, you've got bigger problems.
The least of which being that you should be using a larger block
size...

Back in reality, if we take a 4k block size, the bmbt tree has a
240/240 breakdown, which means that the equation is actually 2^54 <=
240^(n+1), and in that case n = 6, so we don't overflow
XFS_BTREE_MAXLEVELS at all for the normal mkfs cases.

> i.e. xfs_btree_new_root() does:
>
>         /* Set the root in the holding structure  increasing the level by 1. */
>         cur->bc_ops->set_root(cur, &lptr, 1);
>

> and ->set_root / xfs_inobt_set_root() will happily increase
> agi_level; I don't see anything limiting it to
> XFS_BTREE_MAXLEVELS.

Physical limits of the AGI due to the 1TB size of the AG.

> I guess XFS_BTREE_MAXLEVELS is just an arbitrary in-memory limit,
> not a limit of the underlying disk structures, but as it stands,
> we should be sure that we don't exceed it, right?

If you really want to enforce XFS_BTREE_MAXLEVELS, add checks
into xfs_alloc_compute_maxlevels(), xfs_ialloc_compute_maxlevels()
and xfs_bmap_compute_maxlevels() to constrain the limits in the
struct xfs_mount and validate the on-disk values based on the
values in the struct xfs_mount.

> I was going to put that limit into xfs_agi_verify, but realized
> that I wasn't sure if we could actually exceed that depth in
> normal operations.
>
> (cue dchinner working out that 9 levels is 59 bazillion jillion
> items, and will never be hit?)

Yep, done that ;)

Cheers,

Dave.