Re: Extended attributes limit in Linux

On Fri, 2014-01-31 at 16:54 +0800, Jeff Liu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 01/31 2014 15:40 PM, Sun_Blood wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > If I understands it correctly XFS don't have a limit to the size of
> > extended attributes(EA) but Linux impose a limit at 64k.
> > What I am trying to do is build a backup server that our Apple computers
> > will use together with rsync to backup files to. The problem I face is
> > that Apple HFS+ don't have a limit to EA so it has files with more then
> > 64k of EA in it.

Technical Note TN1150:
"In an HFS Plus B-tree, the node size is determined by a field
(nodeSize) in the header node. The node size must be a power from 512
through 32,768."

So, as minimum, xattrs unable to be a larger than node size.

But xattrs' size has limitation anyway:

https://github.com/darwin-on-arm/xnu/blob/master/bsd/hfs/hfs.h#L849

/* Maximum extended attribute size supported for all extended attributes except
* resource fork and finder info.
*/
#define HFS_XATTR_MAXSIZE (128 * 1024)

So, I need to check and correct slightly HFS+ xattrs support code.
Because, I used 3082 bytes limitation value.

Thanks,
Vyacheslav Dubeyko.