Re: [xfs_check Out of memory: ]

On Friday 27 of December 2013, Jeff Liu wrote:
> On 12/27 2013 14:48 PM, Stor?? wrote:
> > Hey:
> >
> > 20T xfs file system
> >

> > /usr/sbin/xfs_check: line 28: 14447 Killed
> > xfs_db$DBOPTS -i -p xfs_check -c "check$OPTS" $1
>
> xfs_check is deprecated and please use xfs_repair -n instead.
>
> The following back traces show us that it seems your system is run out
> memory when executing xfs_check, thus, snmp daemon/xfs_db were killed.

This reminds me a question...

Could xfs_repair store its temporary data (some of that data, the biggest
parte) on disk instead of in memory?

I don't know it that would make sense, so asking. Not sure if xfs_repair needs
to access that data frequently (so on disk makes no sense) or maybe it needs
only for iteration purposes in some later phase (so on disk should work).

Anyway memory usage of xfs_repair was always a problem for me (like 16GB not
enough for 7TB fs due to huge amount of fies being stored). With parallel scan
it's even worse obviously.

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz, arekm / maven.pl