Re: [RFC] Handling of reviewed patch series

On 12/13/2013 12:36 AM, Dave Chinner wrote:
> Hi folks,

> What I'd like to do is publish each of the reviewed branch in the
> XFS git repos on oss.sgi.com as completed and ready-to-go code. This
> is a bit different to what we do now - normally Ben would come along
> and merge the series straight into the master branch, then update
> the for-next branch to point at it.
>
> The issue with this is that it then makes our lives more difficult
> when we get a bug fix that has to go into the master branch and be
> sent to linus for an -rc kernel before all the development code that
> is already checked into the master branch.
>
> What I propose is that the xfs-oss/master branch tracks the Linus
> -rc1 releases, and we never check code directly into the master
> branch except in exceptional circumstances. i.e.  we try to only
> ever pull back down from Linus into it. Exceptional circumstances
> would be work that causes widespread rebasing, like all of the
> structural rework that we've done recently. The structural work
> would go into the master branch immediately after a -rc1 update, and
> the next cycle's work and topic branches then based on top of that.
>
> What this means is that the "for-next" branch is no longer based
> on the master branch - it becomes the development branch we work on,
> and is effectively a merge of all the topic branches. i.e like the
> -next tree, it is a branch that can be rebased without impacting the
> history of the code in the topic branches because it's just a merge
> target.

Is the merge of a topic branch into the for-next branch a maintainer
duty formality here, or another "phase" we're introducing into the
development process? IOW, a developer submits patches and said patches
are reviewed and merged into a topic branch. What/when/how is said topic
branch merged into the for-next for impending upstream merge?

I don't see the existence of such branches as a big issue. In fact, it
would be nice to see a sort of a high/feature level index of what kind
of things are outstanding for a release, or to be able to narrow down a
regression into a particular set, etc. A more granular workflow doesn't
necessarily hurt if the maintainer(s) see it as worth the extra steps.

On the flipside, topic branches alone make it harder for a
non-maintainer to actually test the whole of a release. Is it up to the
developer to merge all of the topic branches to actually test everything
and actively maintain that relationship as things change on the
maintainer end? Or are these patches pulled into a topic branch and
merged onto for-next at the same time?

Brian