Q: about xfs pre-allocation

Could someone comment on my [mis-]understanding in regards to
what the note below said that was posted by someone else
to another list.  The pre-allocation behavior for XFS that the
note describes doesn't jive w/what I thought happened and I
was wondering if my brain was out of date or something (at
least in regards to this topic! ;-)).  Names elided from
Original Message, below for no great reason...

I thought file space pre-allocation ended when you closed the file??

But this note from the open-suse list indicates that, at least
with ext2, a kernel thread removes this later.
I thought the FS-space allocator gave *preference* to having the
next file start at least "filesize%('allocsize || 64K')" from
the end of the previous, BUT, if needed it will allocate space
from the end of the previous file (rounded to fs-blocksize) if
space is really that tight.