Setting project quotas on special files

Hi everyone

It started with the following error:

   dev # cp -al dvd dvd2
   cp: cannot create hard link ‘dvd2’ to ‘dvd’: Invalid cross-device link

"dvd" is in this case a symlink (but I also did the test with special
devices).

What I did was: copy that symlink from somewhere else, trying to turn on
project quotas on a parent directoy of that "dev" directory which gives
me:

  xfs_quota: skipping special file /var/foo/dev/dvd

When I examine the inode using xfs_db I get for my "dvd" symlink:

  core.projid_lo = 0
  core.projid_hi = 0

When I create a new symlink "foo" (with the same uid+gid as "dvd") and
examine it's inode using xfs_db:

  core.projid_lo = 2398
  core.projid_hi = 61

What I therefore seem to encounter is the problem mentioned in xfs_quota
for the project subcommand:

  An attempt to create a hard link to a file in the tree will only succeed if the project identi‐
       fier matches the project identifier for the tree.

I could now use xfs_io to fix all special files once (since newly
created ones will carry the project id directly), but why does
"xfs_quota -x -c 'project -s test1' /var" skip special files if it is
clearly possible and required to set the project id on them to have
hardlinks working again within the project dir?

Thanks in advance,
best regards,
Tiziano

--