Re: xfs hardware RAID alignment over linear lvm

On 9/27/2013 8:29 AM, Stewart Webb wrote:
> Hi Stan,
>
> Apologies for not directly answering -

No problem, sorry for the late reply.

> I was aiming at filling gaps in my knowledge that I could not find in the
> xfs.org wiki.

Hopefully this is occurring. :)

> My workload for the storage is mainly reads of single large files (ranging
> for 20GB to 100GB each)
> These reads are mainly linear (video playback, although not always as the
> end user may be jumping to different points in the video)
> There are concurrent reads required, estimated at 2 to 8, any more would be
> a bonus.

This is the type of workload Dave described previously that should
exhibit an increase in read performance if the files are written with
alignment, especially with concurrent readers, which you describe as
2-8, maybe more.  The number of "maybe more" is dictated by whether
you're aligned.  I.e. with alignment your odds of successfully serving
more readers is much greater.

Thus, if you need to stitch arrays together with LVM concatenation,
you'd definitely benefit from making the geometry of all arrays
identical, and aligning the filesystem to that geometry.  I.e. same
number of disks, same RAID level, same RAID stripe unit (data per non
parity disk), and stripe width (#non parity disks).